Tom Yum Chicken and Shrimp soup (Thai Hot and sour soup). This summer our family spent a month in Southeast Asia. Tom Yum soup (Tom Yum Goong) – everybody's favourite Thai soup is easy to make and just as Keywords: Thai soup, Tom yum soup. I love hearing how you went with my recipes!
Next time, we will cut chicken in half and add shrimp. Tom Yum Soup – the BEST Thai Tom Yum Goong recipe you'll find online. Loaded with shrimp and mushroom, Tom Yum is spicy, sour, savory, and addictive! Food preparation Tom Yum Chicken and Shrimp soup (Thai Hot and sour soup) is an enjoyable point, furthermore it ends up being a lot more unique value if you prepare it yourself. By utilizing the following 13 active ingredients, you can start cooking 5 steps. observe the following area for you to start cooking immediately.
Ingredients of Tom Yum Chicken and Shrimp soup (Thai Hot and sour soup)
- Prepare 1/2 pound of chicken thigh of boneless pieces, cleaned and cut into small thin pieces (about 1/2 inch thick and 1 inch long).
- Prepare 10 – 12 of shrimp uncooked (medium size), shells removed.
- You need 2 of tomatoes medium size , chopped into big chunks (roughly 1 inch).
- You need 1 of red onion medium (chopped into 1 inch chunks).
- Prepare 1 inch by 1 inch of ginger piece of , chopped into very thin round slices.
- You need 6 cloves of garlic medium size , chopped into half.
- You need 1 tsp of red chilli powder (optional).
- It’s 3 – 4 of kaffir lime dried leaves.
- It’s a small 1/2 inch of tamarind water – ball , soaked in 1/2 cup.
- You need 4 cups of water of.
- Prepare 1 cup of coconut milk of (fresh or canned).
- It’s 1 tbsp of lime juice fresh.
- You need 1 tsp of salt – (per taste).
You can use also chicken, a combination of chicken plus shrimp, or seafood combination (shrimp, squid, scallops, green-lipped. Tom Yum Soup is a quick, easy, and healthy weeknight recipe. This version is made with shrimp, but feel free to add the seafood of your choice. Tom yum is a traditional Thai hot and sour soup that is found all over the country.
Tom Yum Chicken and Shrimp soup (Thai Hot and sour soup) start cooking
- 1 medium hot green chilly pepper (you can omit this if you want to keep it mild or use 2-3 if you want extra spicy).
- Wash the chicken pieces and marinate them in 1 tbsp of tom yum paste (reserve 1 tbsp paste for later in the recipe). Toss the chicken pieces into a microwave safe glass bowl with a little bit of water (about 1/4 cup) and cook for about 10 minutes until the chicken pieces are well-cooked.(If you have sensor cook or auto cook in your microwave, you could use that setting or you can also just cook the chicken on the stove). Leave the chicken pieces to cool..
- Meanwhile, take a large pot and boil 3 cups of water in it. When the water starts boiling, add the red onions, tomatoes, ginger, garlic, green chillies, the kaffir lime leaves, the red chilli powder (if you are adding it) and the 1tbsp of tom yum paste. Cover with a lid and let t cook for about 10 minutes on medium heat..
- Next add the shrimp to the pot and let it cook for another 5 minutes. Next take the chicken pieces and try to shred them a little bit using your hands (so that they are medium size pieces to eat in a soup). Add the chicken pieces into the pot along with the chicken stock. Next take the soaked tamarind ball and mash the ball with your hands to get the tamarind pulp. Strain this through a strainer (to get any seed and fibrous pulp out) and pour the thin tamarind pulp into the pot..
- Next add the 1 cup of coconut milk and stir slowly for 1 minute on low flame. Do a taste test and add salt per your taste. Put the heat off and finally add the 1 tbsp of lime juice and stir well. Enjoy the soup while its hot. You can eat this with plain white rice or a piece of fresh french bread. Tom Yum is just Yum!.
There are many variations of tom yum out there, from creamy versions. This Thai tom yum soup will stay on your family favorite list forever. It's made with shrimp, chicken stock, mushrooms, veggies, and spices. If you want to add some spice to your Tom Yum soup, we recommend adding chili oil, fresh chili, or chili flakes. If this Tom Yom soup is too sour for your taste.